Skip to main content

Lost and found and lost again

My 2013 started with me losing my phone. Actually I left it in the cab. Good thing I made it a habit to text my Mom, sister and the friends I was just with with all the details of the taxi I took so if anything should happen, well at least I'd still have the last laugh! So when I realised I had left my phone I asked my sister to call my number first and when that didn't work out I called the cab company. I was able to get it back the next day after a lengthy conversation with the dispatcher and the driver. I was part lucky, part resourceful.

Today, June 4, I had left it again but this time not in a cab but in a trike. And although I'm resigned to the reality I might not get it back, there's a part of me that still hopes.

You see, the tricycle drivers in our village are mostly good people and are old, retired men (and women) who chose to drive a trike than be bored at home all day. There is a certain kind of security in the fact that they are from the neighborhood and have a personal interest in keeping it safe. And to top it all off, they haven't lost their provincial charm yet. Yes, this is that kind of village, where everybody knows everybody. You can stand outside your home and come back with news about anything and anybody. It's not strange to have people pass you by, people you don't know, and tell you that a house is on fire or there was an accident outside the village gate without being asked. And this news delivered with such familiarity. And that's what's most endearing. No matter that it's far from the city, the air is fresh and the people are neighborly, that was enough. And now for the happy ending.

I had just ended the sentence about the provincial charm when my sister got a text message. My phone is found yet again! The trike driver found it but had to wait for his daughter because he didn't know how to operate the phone. Now it's  with me again, my phone found its way back to me again! The odds of it happening again was so great that my Tita said I should name it 'I SHALL RETURN'! (I dunno, maybe sometimes it just wants some space from me so it squeezes its way out of my pocket). My hope was not ill-placed afterall!

I know there's a lesson here somewhere and although I'm not sure what it is I know two things for sure: that my assessment of the driver was right (he had a kind face ergo he must be a kind man), and I should never put my phone in my pocket again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Bangle

You may be wondering why I would give away this pattern for free when I can sell it. Well,  I'm really not so good with giving (and taking) written instructions. So to be fair, I only sell patterns that I can give accurate instructions on.  I rely mostly on pictures, I find them easier to follow. So hopefully the images I included helps too if my written instructions become too confusing. I had to use a dark background so the threads would show.  1.       Start with the basic netting technique. String in 147 pieces of seed beads. Pass the thread through the 6th bead from the last. 2.      String 5 beads then pass through the sixth bead from the previous row, repeat to the end. 3.      Leave 6 beads at the tail. String 8 beads then pass thread through fourth bead from previous row. Repeat until you have a total of 9 rows. 4.      String 8 beads then pass the thread through the 6th bead and then pass it through the row you've just finished to ensure the bangle i

Start Off With These Chinese & Taiwanese Dramas

Even before Kdramas, I was already so into Hong Kong movies that I remember writing all the movies I’ve seen on a notebook, which I’ve since lost. Jackie Chan & Jet Li movies were faves, but Star Movies Chinese introduced me to so many others. After watching Gen-X Cops, I fell in love with the gorgeous actors and I’d see anything with Stephen Fung, Nicolas Tse, and Daniel Wu that was on, even ones without subtitles! Oh and also Takeshi Kaneshiro! But at some point, I couldn’t access Star Movies Chinese anymore. I don’t remember exactly if they became unavailable in our country or you had to pay extra for that channel. Whatever it was, it ended my love affair with Hong Kong Movies. Which is okay in a way, since I got too busy with life anyway. And then  Meteor Garden  happened. They showed it on a local channel and was Filipino dubbed. After that blew up, local channels started showing dubbed Taiwanese dramas. But it wasn’t easy to follow the series since it was on at around 4 in th

The Can Of Worms

With all the things that have been happening lately, it's not unusual to feel anxious and/or depressed. Self-care reminders abound on social media for a reason- more people have become self-aware and are being honest about the state of their mental and emotional health. When I was younger this was something people don't talk about much, I still tiptoe on the topic when discussing with family and friends. You weren't depressed, you were just sad. Truly, our generation and those before us were left to sink or swim, and sadly I've had friends who've sunk and I almost did too. To be honest, there are still times I feel like sinking but I've come up with things to get me out of that mindset whenever it creeps on me. I've listed things that work for me but these are like band aid solutions and not real solutions to treat depression. If you think you need help, please visit the link for a list of helplines to call for free: https://www.therapyroute.com/article/suic