Skip to main content

More Than Just A Ring: Ida Ring


I started naming my pieces just recently and coming up with names didn't come easy for me. So, what I did was name them after people or any word that it reminds me of. But once in a while I name them after friends whom I either made the piece for or who was my inspiration when I was making it. So this is the story behind one of those names.

The Ida Ring is quite special to me because it is my first ( and so far only) original ring design ( as far as I'm concerned). I was then trying my hand at wireworks, and I had all these cute murano round beads that I wanted to use. So I scoured the net for tutorials and was lucky to find some and went to work. Since they were prototypes, I gave them to my girl friends and asked them to give me feedbacks. One friend did. She said she liked her ring but she's not comfortable with it because she prefers something dual banded. So I looked again on the net and found one but the project needed half-round wires and wires are actually hard to find in the Philippines. So I tried doing the project using round wires because it was the only kind available. It looked horrible. It was so bulky and the wires just went everywhere and totally did not hold the bead ( I tried it first on a cabochon then a murano bead). The project was awesome and I still want to do it, but the limited options for wires is frustrating.

So, anyway, one day, I started working on it trying to find ways to make the ring look beautiful AND wearable but I was crushed because I could'nt make it work! So I thought, to hell with it let's waste some wire! And I tell you, when it was done, I felt like a proud momma! All the wasted wires and aching, bruised fingers were all worth it!

I'm also pleased to say that to this day she still wears it and when it was time to name my piece I named it after her because she did challenge me to do something I never thought I could! Thanks, Ida! 

Ida Ring made in 2010.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Bangle

You may be wondering why I would give away this pattern for free when I can sell it. Well,  I'm really not so good with giving (and taking) written instructions. So to be fair, I only sell patterns that I can give accurate instructions on.  I rely mostly on pictures, I find them easier to follow. So hopefully the images I included helps too if my written instructions become too confusing. I had to use a dark background so the threads would show.  1.       Start with the basic netting technique. String in 147 pieces of seed beads. Pass the thread through the 6th bead from the last. 2.      String 5 beads then pass through the sixth bead from the previous row, repeat to the end. 3.      Leave 6 beads at the tail. String 8 beads then pass thread through fourth bead from previous row. Repeat until you have a total of 9 rows. 4.      String 8 beads then pass the thread through the 6th bead and then pass it through the row you've just finished to ensure the bangle i

Start Off With These Chinese & Taiwanese Dramas

Even before Kdramas, I was already so into Hong Kong movies that I remember writing all the movies I’ve seen on a notebook, which I’ve since lost. Jackie Chan & Jet Li movies were faves, but Star Movies Chinese introduced me to so many others. After watching Gen-X Cops, I fell in love with the gorgeous actors and I’d see anything with Stephen Fung, Nicolas Tse, and Daniel Wu that was on, even ones without subtitles! Oh and also Takeshi Kaneshiro! But at some point, I couldn’t access Star Movies Chinese anymore. I don’t remember exactly if they became unavailable in our country or you had to pay extra for that channel. Whatever it was, it ended my love affair with Hong Kong Movies. Which is okay in a way, since I got too busy with life anyway. And then  Meteor Garden  happened. They showed it on a local channel and was Filipino dubbed. After that blew up, local channels started showing dubbed Taiwanese dramas. But it wasn’t easy to follow the series since it was on at around 4 in th

The Can Of Worms

With all the things that have been happening lately, it's not unusual to feel anxious and/or depressed. Self-care reminders abound on social media for a reason- more people have become self-aware and are being honest about the state of their mental and emotional health. When I was younger this was something people don't talk about much, I still tiptoe on the topic when discussing with family and friends. You weren't depressed, you were just sad. Truly, our generation and those before us were left to sink or swim, and sadly I've had friends who've sunk and I almost did too. To be honest, there are still times I feel like sinking but I've come up with things to get me out of that mindset whenever it creeps on me. I've listed things that work for me but these are like band aid solutions and not real solutions to treat depression. If you think you need help, please visit the link for a list of helplines to call for free: https://www.therapyroute.com/article/suic