Skip to main content

Types Of Earrings


Isn't it frustrating when you want something but don't know what they're called? With all the different styles of jewelry today it's easy to confuse their names. Well, to add to your stock knowledge and save you from ordering the wrong kind of earring, here's a list of the different types. Tell me if I missed any. And while it's not a rule, it's kind of like hairstyles. As women age, the hair gets shorter and it's the same with earring style.


Studs
The most common earrings we see. This is like the training wheels of earrings, we all start out with studs.
Hoops
These usually have a circular shape, although some are of different shapes.
Dangle or dangling earrings
Usually kept in place by a small hook. The look varies but they are the type that ‘dangles'. They are basically longer even though the length varies and they hang from the earlobe.
Drop earrings
Easily confused with the dangle earrings. A drop earring, unlike the dangle, does not move. They hang just below the earlobe and hangs in a straight line from the base of the earring and is still. This style utilizes a post (like studs) and sometimes a hook for the hanger.
Chandelier Earrings
Chandelier earrings often have multiple levels of decoration and ornate designs, and may have some movement when they dangle from the earlobes.
Huggy or huggies
Like the hoops but the type that actually 'hugs' your ears, meaning that they are smaller. These usually have a circular shape (though triangles and other varieties are available as well) and are in contact with your earlobe.
Slave Earrings
Slave earrings are commonly worn by Indian women on formal occasions, such as weddings. In this type of earring, the stud is connected with a delicate chain to the ear cuff or a cartilage piece worn higher on the ear. Slave earrings are often worn to support heavy dangle earrings and divide their weight.
Ear thread
A small chain which fits through the piercing itself, although materials may vary not necessarily using chain. It then hangs from the lobe on both sides with crystal or bead attachments.
Clip-On Earrings
Amongst the non-pierced earrings, clip-on earrings are the oldest and most popular. They have a tension clip, which secures the earring to the ear by pinching it into the earlobe.
Magnetic Earrings
Magnetic earrings have gained popularity amongst people who do not have pierced ears. The earrings are held in place by attaching the earring to the earlobe with a magnetic back, through magnetic force. It is due to this magnetic force that these earrings stay in place, thereby resembling pierced studs.
Stick-On Earrings
These are a novelty item highly popular amongst kids and teenagers. They have adhesive backs that are stuck to the earlobe, giving the appearance of a pierced stud earring. 


1. Huggies
2. Chandelier
3. Dangle or dangling earrings
4. Slave earrings
5. Ear thread
6. Drop earrings
7. Stick-on earrings
8. Magnetic earrings
9. Hoops
10. Studs 


















IMAGES FROM: ezluxe; kaboodle, chanel, the wish pearl; jewelry adviser; wishes come true; wire gems; elena adams; toy depot; penny best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Bangle

You may be wondering why I would give away this pattern for free when I can sell it. Well,  I'm really not so good with giving (and taking) written instructions. So to be fair, I only sell patterns that I can give accurate instructions on.  I rely mostly on pictures, I find them easier to follow. So hopefully the images I included helps too if my written instructions become too confusing. I had to use a dark background so the threads would show.  1.       Start with the basic netting technique. String in 147 pieces of seed beads. Pass the thread through the 6th bead from the last. 2.      String 5 beads then pass through the sixth bead from the previous row, repeat to the end. 3.      Leave 6 beads at the tail. String 8 beads then pass thread through fourth bead from previous row. Repeat until you have a total of 9 rows. 4.      String 8 beads then pass the thread through the 6th bead and then pass it through the row you've just finished to ensure the bangle i

Start Off With These Chinese & Taiwanese Dramas

Even before Kdramas, I was already so into Hong Kong movies that I remember writing all the movies I’ve seen on a notebook, which I’ve since lost. Jackie Chan & Jet Li movies were faves, but Star Movies Chinese introduced me to so many others. After watching Gen-X Cops, I fell in love with the gorgeous actors and I’d see anything with Stephen Fung, Nicolas Tse, and Daniel Wu that was on, even ones without subtitles! Oh and also Takeshi Kaneshiro! But at some point, I couldn’t access Star Movies Chinese anymore. I don’t remember exactly if they became unavailable in our country or you had to pay extra for that channel. Whatever it was, it ended my love affair with Hong Kong Movies. Which is okay in a way, since I got too busy with life anyway. And then  Meteor Garden  happened. They showed it on a local channel and was Filipino dubbed. After that blew up, local channels started showing dubbed Taiwanese dramas. But it wasn’t easy to follow the series since it was on at around 4 in th

The Can Of Worms

With all the things that have been happening lately, it's not unusual to feel anxious and/or depressed. Self-care reminders abound on social media for a reason- more people have become self-aware and are being honest about the state of their mental and emotional health. When I was younger this was something people don't talk about much, I still tiptoe on the topic when discussing with family and friends. You weren't depressed, you were just sad. Truly, our generation and those before us were left to sink or swim, and sadly I've had friends who've sunk and I almost did too. To be honest, there are still times I feel like sinking but I've come up with things to get me out of that mindset whenever it creeps on me. I've listed things that work for me but these are like band aid solutions and not real solutions to treat depression. If you think you need help, please visit the link for a list of helplines to call for free: https://www.therapyroute.com/article/suic